Township Fiscal Officer
8501 Kinsman Road
P.O. Box 522
Novelty, Ohio 44072
Russell Cemeteries Rules & Regulations
SALE OF LOTS
Lots will be sold only to current or former residents of Russell Township. Transfer of ownership of cemetery deeds MUST be approved by the Board of Trustees. Lots cannot be resold: however, on application of the owner, lots can be returned to the Township with refund of the original purchase price, (see Cemetery Laws of Ohio, Section 1C). Price of lots will be set by Russell Township. Attached list gives current prices for lots and burial fees. Payment is to be made to Russell Township and will be due, in full, at the time of purchase.
Opening and closing of graves must be arranged through the Township Fiscal Officer. Internment fees will be higher for burials scheduled at times other than during regular work hours (see fee schedule). Payment is due prior to interment. If desired, more than one internment can be done in a given burial lot in the following manner: one burial and one cremation, or no burial and up to six (6) cremations per lot.
Section C of Riverview Memorial Park Cemetery, adjacent to Fairmount Road, is limited to flush markers. Raised or flush markers are allowed in section A. These markers are limited to individual or double stones. Family Section: sections B of Riverview Memorial Park Cemetery (east and west of driveways) will be restricted to a minimum of 4 graves in a rectangle with a single family monument in the center of the intersecting lines of the 4 graves with flush type foot or head stones on the east and west edges of rectangle. Two additional lots in the family section may be purchased at the time of the original purchase maintaining the rectangle form, i.e. 6-grave family plot. Sale of more than 6 lots is at the discretion of the Township Board of Trustees. Markers, meeting township size limitations shall be purchased privately. Footers (concrete base) for gravestones are required and arrangements are to be made through the Township Fiscal Officer. All headstones shall be placed at the head of the grave and face the closest driveway. All footstones shall be placed at the foot of the grave and face the closest driveway.
MAXIMUM TYPE / SIZE OF GRAVESTONES:
- Single: 24 inches long x 16 inches wide x 4 inches high (installed at grade level).
- Double: 48 inches long x 16 inches wide x 4 inches high (installed at grade level).
- Raised Stones
- Single: FLAT HIGH MARKER: 24 inches long x 16 inches wide x 8 inches high
SLANT MARKER: 24 inches long x 16 inches wide x 18 inches high
- Double: FLAT HIGH MARKER: 48 inches long x 16 inches wide x 8 inches high SLANT MARKER: 48 inches long x 16 inches wide x 18 inches high
- Monuments: (with base) 48 inches long x 18 inches wide x 40 inches high (above finished grade).
In the case of more than one burial per lot, there shall be no more than two markers, only one of which may be of the raised type, and only if it is in a raised stone section. One marker per lot would be preferable and the markers should be made to accommodate names and birth/death dates for all possible interments for that lot.
- Vaults: with top closings are mandatory in all Russell Cemeteries.
- Cremain Urns: Urns for cremains shall not exceed 18" in height. Urns shall be the permanent type constructed of marble, manmade stone composition, bronze or steel. Pre-cast concrete urn vaults may also be used with a temporary cardboard or plastic urn within, provided the outside dimension of the vault does not exceed 18î in height.
Temporary type urns made of plastic, cardboard, wood or other similar material, may be used if there are no plans to relocate the cremains at a later date. Russell Township will not assume any responsibility for damage incurred while relocating an urn constructed of temporary type materials.
- Flower Arrangements and Plantings: Planting of perennial flowers, shrubs, etc. on cemetery property is prohibited and will be removed at the discretion of the Maintenance Superintendent. Annuals, such as geraniums, may be planted around the gravestones. Such plantings are not to extend beyond 12 inches around the gravestones. Plants are to be maintained by the family and subject to removal at the discretion of the Maintenance Superintendent. Potted plants or cut flowers may be placed on graves, to be removed by the Maintenance Superintendent when or if they become unsightly. In-ground flower vases, available from monument companies, may be used in front of the gravestone.
- Flags: Flags will be placed on the graves of veterans by the township during the week before Memorial Day and will be removed during the week following Labor Day.